Perfect Italian Meatballs with Fresh Pasta
30 mins active prep time, 4 servings
This is a really special recipe with a few secret tricks to get the softest, most succulent meatballs you've ever tasted. The breadcrumbs and onion is the key to the flavour and texture. Featuring high quality beef and beautiful handmade pasta from Maria's in Carlton North. Available for delivery every day except Sunday.
What you'll need
Olive oil, salt, pepper, parmesan to serve plus:
- Beef Premium Mince approx. 500g
- Brown Onions Each - approx. 200g
- Free Range Eggs 350g
- Bread Crumbs
- Continental Parsley Bunch
- Garlic approx. 100g
- Tomato Puree 700g
- Italian Spaghetti Herbs 25g
- Fresh Linguine Plain approx. 150g
1. Prepare the ingredients: Finely grate one of the onions using a cheese grater. Set aside. Finely chop a handful of parsley and mince two garlic cloves.
2. Mix the ingredients: Add one cup of breadcrumbs to the onion in a bowl and mix to combine. Then add the mince, one egg, parsley and garlic. Add some salt and pepper to tatse and grate in one quarter of a cup of parmesan cheese.
3. Construct meatballs: Using your hands, mix all the ingredients together well. Then, using a tablespoon, scoop out some of the mixture and roll in your hands to make a meatball. Set aside and repeat.
4. Prepare and cook the sauce: Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large fry pan. Fry 2 mince garlic cloves, and 3/4 cup of diced onion until browned. Add the tomato puree, 3 teaspoons of italian herbs, half a cup of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a light simmer
5. Cook meatballs: In another non-stick pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil and fry the meatballs over a medium-high heat until brown all over. Don't cook through just yet.
6. Combine with sauce then serve: Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook your pasta in boiling water and then serve together with grated parmesan.