How we’re taking precautions for coronavirus
With the recent increase of COVID-19 cases in Melbourne, we wanted to take a moment to share what we’re doing to keep our team and our customers safe and healthy at YourGrocer.
We have already taken several measures behind the scenes, based on guidance from the Australian and Victorian government health departments. These include:
- All team members thoroughly washing and sanitising hands every time they enter our distribution centre
- All team members sanitising their hands before and after shop pickups and customer deliveries
- Clear direction to all team members to stay at home if they feel sick (including financial support for our casual staff)
- All team members who can work from home are now doing so
As of March 13 we will also be making some further changes:
- We will not be entering customers’ homes for deliveries, and instead will leave deliveries at customers' front doors. If you still require delivery to your kitchen bench, please leave a note when you make your order, or let your driver know. While we understand there is a very low chance for infection to spread in this way, we are being extra cautious. (For more information on the risks involved, the Victorian Health and Human Services website has clear information here, under the “How the infection is spread” heading)
- We will be sanitising all eskies, crates and returnable cleaning bottles when they return to our distribution centre
- We will be compacting and recycling all returned paper bags (we know this is not ideal, but unfortunately we cannot sanitise paper bags)
These measures aren’t to cause any panic or inconvenience. We know that our service is more important than ever to many of our customers right now, so we’re taking precautions so that we can continue to provide a safe and reliable service.
We’ll continue to monitor the situation, and will keep you updated as we implement any further measures. Our Customer Happiness Team is also here to answer any questions.
April 1 Update:
Stage 3 restrictions are now in place in Victoria to help stop the spread of COVID-19. In order to play our part all YourGrocer deliveries are now completely contactless, and will be delivered to your front door.
Previously we were happy to continue bringing your order into your home if needed, but from now on we need to leave all deliveries at your doorstep.
How will this work? Your driver will unload your order to your front door (if you’re in an apartment, this will be your internal front door where possible). We’ll ring your doorbell and take a few steps back. Please come to the door and say hello! 👋
We have looked into using gloves and masks. However, based on guidance from the Department of Health and the World Health Organisation, we are confident that not using these will keep you safer, which also means these supplies can be used by healthcare workers who need them most.
Finally, while supplies of personal care, cleaning and grocery items are returning to normal, our supermarkets are still struggling to keep stock levels up. The good news is that specialty stores like fishmongers, butchers and greengrocers generally have good supply, so please buy from them where you can.