Japanese Curry and Udon Noodles
"Japanese curry and udon: a comfort food power couple. The addition of curry to hot udon doubles down on its warming, satisfying qualities – I love all kinds of udon, but this may be my favourite." ~Tim Anderson
This recipe is from JapanEasy by Tim Anderson, published by Hardie Grant Books and available at cooked.com.au.
Photography (c) Alan Benson.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green chilli, very finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 red (bell) pepper, diced
- 60g butter
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- 45g madras curry powder, see note
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1.2 litres chicken or beef stock, dashi, or any combination of the three
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, more to taste
- 4 tablespoons ketchup or Tonkatsu sauce
- 1 sweetcorn cob or 150g tinned sweetcorn
- 4 portions udon noodles
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 eggs, poached or soft-boiled
- pinch dried chilli flakes, (optional)
- 40-50g red pickled ginger, (optional)
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated, (optional – but it’s DELICIOUS)
- toasted sesame seeds
For the full cooking method, please visit cooked.com.au.
Sign-up here to order these meal ingredients.