Homemade Gnocchi in Tomato & Basil Sauce
45 mins active prep time, 4 servings
Ever wanted to make your own Gnocchi? It's not as difficult as you think. Check out the instructions below. If you need an emergency backup, check out Maria's Pasta for fresh and frozen options. ;-)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 cup plain flour + extra if needed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 700g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved, plus extra to serve
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 800g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
1. Prepare potatoes: Place potato in a steamer basket over a saucepan simmering water. Steam for 10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl. Mash until almost smooth. Cool slightly.
2. Prepare dough: Add egg, flour and parmesan cheese to potato. Mix well. If dough is very soft and not staying together, add more flour. Turn dough out onto a slightly floured work surface. Knead dough until smooth.
3. Prepare gnocchi: Divide dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a 2cm-thick log. Using a slightly floured knife, cut logs into 3cm pieces.
4. Cook gnocchi: Cook gnocchi, in 4 batches, in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes or until gnocchi floats to the surface. Using a slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to a large heatproof bowl.
5. Make the sauce: To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and brown sugar. Simmer sauce for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add fresh basil leaves and stir through. Add gnocchi to the pan, and toss to gently coat.
6. Serve: Serve gnocchi topped with extra parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.