Balsamic Mushroom & Eggplant Burgers
20 mins active prep time, 4 servings
A simple two-minute marinade will transform the eggplant and mushroom in this dish into the most succulent, tasty vegetarian burgers you've tasted. If you've got a barbecue handy, charring the vegetables under a high heat will bring out the flavour best, though pan frying will also work just fine. Feel free to add any vegetables you like to take these burgers to another level - capsicum & zucchini are excellent additions
What you'll need
Olive oil, salt, balsamic vinegar, dried Italian herbs (optional), your favourite condiments, plus the following:
- Swiss Flat Mushrooms
- Brown Onions
- Milk Buns
1. Prepare balsamic marinade. In a large bowl, mix 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup of olive oil, a good pinch of salt & dried italian herbs (optional)
2. Prepare vegetables. Slice the eggplant horizontally, leaving the skin on. Coat the eggplant and flat mushrooms in the balsamic marinade and let rest while you prepare the other ingredients
3. Caramelise onions. Thinly slice the brown onions and cook in olive oil with a pinch of salt over a low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes
4. Cook the vegetables. In a barbecue, cast iron pan, or non-stick frying pan - cook the eggplant and mushrooms on high heat for 4-5 minutes. Light charing is desirable if cooking over barbecue.
5. Construct the burgers. Optionally, lightly toast the burger buns for 1 minute in the barbeque, or under the grill. Construct your vegetables, carmelised onion & rocket.
6. Serve. Add your favourite sauces, condiments and serve with rocket on the side