Lentil Dahl With Coconut and Rice
30 mins active prep time, 4 servings
Simple, super healthy and delicious. This family recipe will have you making the perfect dahl everytime with the brown sugar and lemon releasing incredible flavours you'll love. This recipe is also perfect for cooking in bulk and freezing for later. This recipe contains a few different spices. If you already have them in your pantry simply remove them from the ingredients list below.
What you'll need
Sesame oil (or regular cooking oil), brown sugar, vege (or other) stock cube, dessicated coconut (optional), plus:
- Mustard Seeds Yellow 100g
- Brown Onions - approx. 200g
- Red Lentils (1 Kg )
- Round Tomatoes approx. 240g
- Chilli Ground 100g
- Loose Carrots approx. 200g
- Washed Potato approx. 250g
- Turmeric Ground 100g
- Lemons - approx. 170g
- Coriander Bunch
- Basmati rice 1.0kg
1. Prepare ingredients: Chop the tomatoes, carrots and potatoes into roughly 1cm cubes. Dice half the brown onion.
2. Soften onions and seeds: Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds and onion, stirring until softened.
3. Combine tomato and spices: Stir in the chopped tomatoes and 2 teaspoons of ground chilli. Add 1.5 cups of red lentils along with 1 litre of water and a cube of vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add vegetables and cook rice: Add carrots and potatoes, turmeric, & salt and simmer for 20 mins. Meanwhile, cook 2 cups of rice in a pot or rice cooker.
5. Add final ingredients: Add small amounts of brown sugar and lemon juice to taste. Season with salt as required.
6. Serve with coconut and coriander: Serve dahl over rice, add shredded coconut (optional) and coriander as garnish.