Glazed Lemon Pound Cake
- 225g of unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 360g plain flour, plus more for pan
- 180g low-fat buttermilk
- Zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
- 8 tablespoons of lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 250g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs
For the Glaze:
- 250g confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, with rack in lowest position.
- Butter and flour two small loaf pans.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk with lemon zest and juice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three parts alternately with the buttermilk mixture in two, beginning and ending with flour; beat just until smooth (do not overmix).
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted (approx 50 to 60 minutes). Cool 15 minutes in pan.
- Turn out cakes onto a rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, place confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl and stir in lemon juice (glaze should be thick, yet pourable). Add more sugar or lemon juice, as necessary, to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour glaze over cakes, letting it run down the sides; let dry, about 30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Marthastewart.com
Image courtesy of Jennifer at Seasons and Suppers
Better food starts today
Same day grocery delivery from the best local shops