Shakshuka with Crumbled Feta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 400g can whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt, more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, more as needed
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped Coriander, for serving
- Heat oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until tender; stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in tomatoes & season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in crumbled feta.
- Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with coriander and serve with hot sauce.
Recipe credit goes to Melissa Clark at NYT Cooking.
Image credit goes to Andrew Scrivani.
Better food starts today
Same day grocery delivery from the best local shops